Advanced Placement US Government and and Politics which is also known as AP US GOPO, AP US NSL, AP US Govt is a course and exam being offered to high school students. AP US government and politics is all about how US govt. functions using its various administrative agencies. It’s one of the popular subjects being opted by thousands of high school students. You need a lot of study to score good marks as it is quite theoretical. If you are not an avid reader then you will get bored reading and end up scoring less marks or score in AP exam.
The material in the course is composed of multiple subjects from the Constitutional roots of the United States. The AP United States Government examination covers roughly six subjects in approximate percentage composition of the examination. Constitutional underpinnings, political beliefs and behaviors, Political parties, mass media, Institutions of national govt. such as Congress, presidency & federal courts and civil right and civil liberties.
Below are the best books available on AP US Govt. Exam Preparation :
- Barron’s AP U.S. Government and Politics, 8th Edition by Curt Lader M.Ed.
- AP U.S. Government & Politics Crash Course (Advanced Placement (AP) Crash Course) by Larry Krieger
- Cracking the AP U.S. Government & Politics Exam, 2015 Edition (College Test Preparation) by Princeton Review
- 5 Steps to a 5 AP US Government and Politics 2014-2015 (EBOOK) (5 Steps to a 5 on the Advanced Placement Examinations… by Pamela Lamb
- Kaplan AP U.S. Government & Politics 2015 (Kaplan Test Prep) by Ulrich Kleinschmidt and Bill Brown
The above books are published by well known authors and publications and hence they are updated with the latest syllabus and pattern of the AP US Government and Politics exam.
The exam is conducted in mainly two parts :
- Section 1 : 60 Questions Time allotted : 45 Minutes
- Section 2 : Free Response 4 Questions Time Allotted : 100 minutes
There were around 1/4th million high school students who gave exam this year. According to the last years data available on Wikipedia, only 11.3% of the students score a perfect 5 score while score 4 and 3 were scored by 11% and 26% students respectively. Exam may seem easy to many students who are very good in grasping things. With enough practice, you will be able to score atleast 4. Try to read from above books and don’t waste your time reading from downloaded free PDF study materials. You also need to learn time management as number of questions are more in MCQ’s and time is less. Practice will make you perfect.