Reading is one of the main sections in the ACT test. The other 3 section that are asked in the ACT test are mathematics, English and Science reasoning. I have already suggested prep books for mathematics and English section. Reading is quite important and easy section to score marks in the exam. You can also increase your overall if you are good in Reading. A score of 21.4 is the average score in Reading section of ACT exam.
There are total of 40 questions of reading comprehension and a total of 35 minutes is allotted to answer these questions. It’s really not that hard however you need to increase your speed of reading passages and understand the meaning behind it. Most of the questions are easy but few are complex in nature and you have to apply your mind to answer these questions. There are number of good books available in the market through which you can practice standard comprehension which will be similar to the actual exam.
Here are some of the best prep books for ACT Reading section that you can refer:
- Increase Your Score In 3 Minutes A Day: ACT Reading by Randall McCutcheon and James Schaffer
- McGraw-Hill’s 500 ACT English and Reading Questions to Know by Test Day by Cynthia Johnson
- Barron’s ACT English, Reading and Writing Workbook, 2nd Edition by Linda Carnevale
- McGraw-Hill’s Conquering ACT English Reading and Writing, 2nd Edition by Steven Dulan
- English and Reading Workout for the ACT, 2nd Edition (College Test Preparation) by Princeton Review
- ACT 36, 2nd edition (Barron’s Act 36) by Ann Summers, Krista L. McDaniel
Here is what the first book contains :
These new additions to the Increase Your Score series present key principles and practical strategies for the ACT Writing Test (new for 2005) and the ACT Reading Test, explained in manageable, bite-size sections ideal for the panicked student. Combining humor with academic authority, these succinct guides:
- Feature essential strategies for effective essay writing or tackling reading comprehension passages under the pressure of time
- Provide sample essays or reading passages and questions, accompanied by helpful annotated comments and examiner marks
- Are ideal for students who procrastinate or who can study only in short doses
- Include cartoons (Zits, Peanuts, Calvin & Hobbes) to reinforce the light, student-friendly tone
Overall these are great book which you can start with. Some of these contain English and writing section too which will also help for those sections. Prepare practice questions from ACT website to to know about the pattern of the questions being asked in the exam. We will be coming up PDF study material for reading section of the ACT test. Till then stay tuned….