American College Testing is a standardized test similar to SAT reasoning test whose scores are used for getting admission to colleges in United States and Canada. English is one of the section which is asked in ACT exam. The other section which is asked in the exam are mathematics, reading and science reasoning. You can also give an optional Writing test. The English section contains 75 questions to be solved in 45 minutes. The average score for English in ACT exam is around 20.6.
The English section of the ACT exam mainly covers usage/mechanics and rhetorical skills. More specifically, questions focus on usage and mechanics – issues such as commas, apostrophes, (misplaced/dangling) modifiers, the colons, and fragments and run-ons – as well as on rhetorical skills – style (clarity and brevity), strategy, transitions, and organization (sentences in a paragraph and paragraphs in a passage.) As most of you have English as your mother tongue hence you can score very good marks in this section.
Here are some of the best prep books for ACT English Section :
- The Complete Guide to ACT English by Erica L. Meltzer
- Grammar Workbook for the SAT, ACT, and More by George Ehrenhaft Ed.D
- Barron’s ACT English, Reading and Writing Workbook, 2nd Edition by Linda Carnevale M.A.
- McGraw-Hill’s 500 ACT English and Reading Questions to Know by Test Day by Cynthia Johnson
- English and Reading Workout for the ACT, 2nd Edition (College Test Preparation) by Princeton Review
- McGraw-Hill’s Top 50 Skills for a Top Score: ACT English, Reading, and Science: ACT English, Reading, and Science by Brian Leaf
All the books are written by famous authors and published by popular publications. Books are written according to the latest syllabus and pattern of the ACT exam. There are number of enough solved questions given and number of practice questions given for you to practice. Practice as many sets as you can as this will improve your time management and accuracy during the actual exam.
We will be coming up with study material PDF and other several tips, tricks of English section. However, there are not much tips for English. It totally depends on your practice. The more you practice the much you get better. Get one of these books and a practice set and start your preparation for ACT English section.